Search site for
Std Seahorse™ Electric Pack
This ultimate package includes everything you need. Just get some bait and your away fishing.
The package includes:
- The Standard Seahorse™ Electric Kontiki with the powerful 2 speed 46lb thrust motor
- 22 amp hour SLA battery pack
- The CTek™ Automatic Multi Stage Charger
- Night activated strobe light and flag
- The Seahorse™ Electric Winch with:
- 1900 meters of 140kg breaking strain line, including 1600m of mainline, 250m of 120 stoppers, 150m of leader, a shock cord
- 14 amp hour SLA Battery
- The Seahorse™ "Clip & Go" Traceboard with 26 traces
- 10 spare traces
- 5 clip on weights
- Operator's manual and DVD
24 Month Warranty and 30 day money back guarantee*
The Seahorse™ Electric Kontiki
Designed and engineered in Tauranga, NZ, and tested in our harshest beach conditions, the Std Seahorse™ Electric Kontiki is the world's most successful beach longline fishing system. It can be operated either single-handedly or with family and friends so you can fish where and when you want. Able to power through all conditions, the Seahorse Electric Kontiki System takes beach longline fishing to a whole new level.
The world leading electronic control unit brings a new level of technology to Kontiki fishing with it's unique stall protection and recovery features. Teamed up with the Seahorse™ Winch and Traceboard, you will have the complete fishing package.
How does Std Seahorse™ steer so well?
The Std Seahorse Kontiki has an incredible ability to self-steer through varying side currents and waves. This is a unique ability unmatched by others on the market.
The long body length of the Seahorse Kontiki allows for unrivalled longitudinal steering stability. Engineering our konitki with the offset tow point and the forward mounted motor, ensures maximum resistance from waves and rough conditions. The long, low body acts like a rudder, removing the need for drag inducing keels. This low buoyancy design also gives the Seahorse the ability to dive under the breaking surf and avoid being washed off course.
We have found the line towing behind the Seahorse Kontiki works like the tail of a kite, and this helps to keep the unit straight. The low drag, front mounted rudder gives additional control for tackling offshore tidal currents or wind induced surface drift. By launching slightly into the current, the Seahorses' ability to steer a straight course will ensure your line is set where you want it.
Reliable, Smart Electrics
The Seahorse™ Electronic Control Unit is completely sealed in resin. This resin block is fitted into the polyethylene body, and is held in place with moulded anchor points. The electronics remove a mass of wiring allowing a clean and simple battery compartment. There are two connecting leads showing to attach the two batteries.
A row of 10 super bright LEDs, which shine through the body, indicates your battery status and will indicate if the batteries need charging. The LED lights show the pre-selected running time of your Seahorse. The amount of time is indicated by the number of LED lights which illuminate in a bar display. Once the time is set simply start the Seahorse™ motor by putting the magnet near the START switch. You can run the Seahorse until the low battery cut-out switches it off, or you can set the timer to 25, 20, 15, 10 or 5 minutes run time.
The LED light flashes fast to show the motor is running, and on the Seahorse 46 the lights will flash slow to show when slow speed is selected.
The Seahorse Kontiki's are the only Kontiki's with built-in automatic stall protection system. If the motor is stalled, the control unit will automatically stop and start the motor up to 3 times trying to dislodge the offending item. - an essential feature for shingle beaches.
The graphs show the performance of the Seahorse Kontiki's. These are based on the results from various runs recorded by GPS.
The Seahorse™ Electric Winch
The Seahorse™ Electric Winch is built tough to do the hard work in a harsh beach environment. The Seahorse Winch makes launching and retrieval of your Seahorse™ a simple one person job, no matter what the conditions are like or how many fish you have on the line. The three speed control unit and pulse function gives you full control, allowing you to fish when you want.
The Seahorse™ Electric Winch is built tough to do the hard work in a harsh beach environment. The Seahorse Winch makes launching and retrieval of your Seahorse a simple one person job, no matter what the conditions are like or how many fish you have on the line. The three speed control unit and pulse function gives you full control, allowing you to fish when you want.
The Seahorse Electric Winch can be used with any electric kontiki and is perfect for kite fishing. It is also great for those kayak longliners who are exhausted after their long paddle.
The Seahorse™ "Clip & Go" Traceboard
The Seahorse™ aluminium "clip & go" traceboard is lighter, stronger cleaner , and easier to use than other boards. it is straightforward to use, and it can be used with a wide range of baits. The new, effective two-sided design of the Seahorse traceboard enables easy, fast, and safe attachment of the traces.Because Seahorse Kontiki's perform at high speed, we designed a traceboard that makes it easy for the operator to attach the traces safely and easily, and a winch that controls the line during the launch stage. The traceboard has long traces and seaharvester clips to enable quick and easy attachment. The fisher stays away from the pre-baited hooks that are automatically dispensed from the far end of the board. The traces are attached between every second or third stopper on the stoppered section of line. The stoppers are 2m apart and you are supplied with 120 on the mainline, giving you plenty of extras. The stoppers are nylon glued ties which do not affect line strength and are much better to handle than the cheaper aluminium crimps. The 25 traces can be deployed in under a minute.
Please note the 30lb thrust motor is no longer available. Plese look at the new Seahorse S30 Kontiki.
STD Kontiki Features
- For ultimate performance and flexibility, the powerful and versatile two-speed Seahorse 46 is New Zealand's most popular non autopilot kontiki unit. The Std Seahorse 46 is New Zealand's only proven 46lb thrust non autopilot kontiki. The high performance 46lb thrust motor will attack massive West Coast surf and rips, allowing you to fish when others can't. The two speed control unit gives you full power for serious surf and rips, or half speed for calmer conditions, ease of use, and maximum distance. The Mercury 46lb thrust motor swings a 3 blade prop that provides a massive amount of torque or pull. This enable the Seahorse 46 to drag the line, baits and weights out through surf line and across side rips without the need for excessive speed. The slower speed delivers 27lb's of thrust, which is great for calmer conditions.
- Seahorse Kontiki's are professionally designed and constructed by our team to handle the harsh beach conditions of New Zealand. It's imperative that everything is designed to operate in coastal elements such as sand, salt, and water. That is why all internal components, including the batteries, are fully sealed and waterproofed for maximum protection and to keep maintenance to a minimum. The Electronic Control Unit is encased in resin and is also completely waterproof.
The Seahorse products are proudly made in Tauranga, New Zealand - the home of Kontiki fishing.
The Seahorse Products come with a 24 month warranty, 12 months on batteries, to give you, the user peace of mind. Seahorse offers the best back up service and support available, and we will help resolve any issues you have with your Seahorse™ products.
The world leading electronic control unit brings a new level of technology to Kontiki fishing The Control Unit is responsible for the management and protection of the batteries. It monitors the batteries, and will stop the motor if the charge in the battery falls to a low level. It starts and stops the motor, and if a timed run is selected, the electronic timer is used to control the run. The control unit is operated externally by a magnet allowing it to be operated anywhere and in any conditions. The stall protection and recovery feature is an essential feature to protect the motor and batteries from the extensive damage a stalled motor can cause. If the motor is stalled, the control will stop and start the motor 3 times, trying to dislodge the offending item, and allow you to continue fishing. Shingle beaches, such as the Hawkes Bay, and sticks are a major cause of stalled motors.
- The control panel is designed for simple one-touch control right up to the moment of launching
The long, low buoyancy, slab-sided body design, gives the Seahorse an incredible ability to self-steer through varying surf and currents. The smooth body design enables it to slice through the waves with minimal resistance, maximising the distance it travels. Because of its design, the whole body is able to operate as a rudder behind the forward mounted motor. To our advantage, this means we do not need drag inducing keels or rear mounted rudders. The low buoyancy shape allows the motor to pull the body and drive under the surf with unmatched performance.
The sleek body allows the Seahorse Kontiki to be launched into very shallow water (knee deep or even less), as the body has no protruding apertures that can catch on the bottom and pull the unit off course.
- The batteries are accessed via a completely watertight, sealed, submarine styled, aluminium marine hatch designed by Seahorse. The hatch seals over a large surface area of rubber seal. The Aluminium hatch provides a total seal without distorting out of shape as tighter the hatch is closed, the stronger the seal becomes. The hatch seal sits against the inter ring of the body, allowing the hatch to apply the sealing pressure. We can guarantee this hatch will seal in conditions where other hatches fail. Unlike "O" rings, it will even seal when sandy. The hatch has a sealed stainless steel locking bolt, which cannot be over tightened. The specially moulded batterybox will hold the batteries securely in place, no matter how rough the surf gets. The low down position of the batteries ensures the Seahorse Kontiki is always stable and upright.
- The offset aluminium tow point counters the torque of the powerful Mercury motor, allowing the motor to be mounted in-line with the body, and ensuring maximum drive from the motor. The position of the tow point has been identified through extensive inhouse testing, removing any need to find the correct tow point offset yourself. We have found millimetres make a difference.
- The high visibility flag is the largest practical size. Offering excellent visibility in many different light conditions. The automatic strobe light self activates in the dark, allowing users andother maritime users to see the Seahorse Kontiki at night - flags are available in different colours.
- Each Seahorse Kontiki has a unique serial number to ensure positive identification of each unit. Being
- New Zealand's most popular kontiki unit, you'll see them being used widely throughout New Zealand. Seahorse maintains a register of owners for your benefit.
- The handle ensures the Seahorse Kontiki balances well when being transported.
- The small forward mounted rudder,provides positive direction control. The rudder pulls the Seahorse Kontiki up into the current as opposed to a rear mounted rudder which pushes the unit down with the current. Our testing has shown forward mounted rudders are more effective, therefore these do not need to be as big to have the same effect.
- The strong aluminium motor guard frame protects the motor and the propeller so the kontiki can be launched in shallow water.
- A full 24 month warranty provides carefree operation and support. We also provide a 30 day money back guarantee, that this is the best Kontiki system you can buy. Call us if you have a query regarding your Seahorse™. We are happy to help.
- Used by Graeme Sinclair and Bill Hohepa, Derek the Chef, and thousands of New Zealanders - from Invercargill to Cape Reinga, - the Seahorse™ is the best kontiki unit you can buy.
Seahorse™Electric Winch Features
The Seahorse™ Electric Winch is designed to make launching and retrieving your Seahorse as simple as possible - it is a one-man operation.
- The Seahorse Winch is the most advanced beach longline fishing winch available. It's advanced design makes it simple to operate, and simple to clean.
- Being loaded with design features, it is also the simplest winch on the market to operate.
- The simple and effective drag rubber controls the speed of the drum on launching to stop overruns. The drag rubber adds constant drag to the winch drum during the launching process, thus stopping the line jumping and causing overruns. Once the traces are attached the drag rubber is removed off the drum, in turn removing the drag and allowing for maximum distance. Additional drag can be manually applied if required.
- The line used on the Seahorse Winch is 300lb, or 140kg, breaking strain, commercial grade monofilament fishing line. This line size is selected because it is easy to handle, yet strong enough to withstand a high level of abuse.
- The line consists of a 3m shock cord, followed by 150m of leader line. This is used by the fisher to guide the Seahorse through the surfline. The following 250m of stoppered line has 120 resin coated stoppers where the weights and 25 traces are attached. The stoppered line is then followed by 1600m of mainline to allow set-up of the Seahorse up to 1.9kms offshore. This gives you plenty of time to get your traces attached to the main line.
- The marine grade wiring and external switches are completely waterproofed. So not only can the unit be washed easily, but it is also protected from any unexpected waves hitting the beach.
- The winch control unit is fully protected from the beach environment. The unit has three speeds so you can select the correct speed for whatever the situation. There is also the sealed ON/OFF/PULSE switch giving you complete control.
- The slow speed is for trolling the baits back to the beach. This technique can be used successfully with soft baits or lures.
- Medium speed has an overload thermal auto cut-out to protect the motor. This speed is great when you are pulling in a massive load of fish.
- High speed uses all the power of the 150 watt motor to retrieve the line in the fastest possible time, so you spend less time waiting and more time fishing.
- The speeds are electronically controlled to ensure no battery power is wasted.
- The aluminium frame design and low drum placement enables the winch to lock itself into the sand, making it very stable and removing any need to pin it down. The winch can also be fitted onto a quad bike or 4x4, or it can be operated from the top of the Seahorse beach trolley.
- The self lubricating bushes eliminate the need for grease (as grease and sand is a big no-no).
- The powerful 150 watt motor will provide up to 50kg of pull. This is sufficient to pull in even the biggest fish. The low profile design enables all the power to be used.
- The large 14ah battery capacity allows for up to 4,000m of hauling. This is normally sufficient for two complete hauls.
- The cased aluminium drum is heat treated to guarantee greatest durability. The drum has a lifetime guarantee.
- A full 24 month warranty provides carefree operation and support. Call us if you have any queries regarding our Seahorse Electric Winch.
The SEAHORSE™ "Clip & Go" Traceboard Features
The strong aluminium frame is light weight and does not hold the smell of the fish or baits. Its design means it can be cleaned easily, and this keeps the traces and the board in top condition.
The convenient two sided design reduces the size of the traceboard while maximising the spacing between hooks increasing baiting options.
The traceboard is specifically designed to handle long trace, which has proven more successful.
The Seahorse designed and machined, trace and hook holders enable the traces to be held with minimum tension ensuring easy and safe operation.
Seaharvester clips and longline hooks bring commercial know-how and techniques to recreational fishing. While there are a number of techniques for attaching traces to the mainline, we have found the Seahavester clips are the quickest, easiest, and safest method of attaching traces.
There are Ten spare pre-tied traces included with our traceboard (in addition to the 26 on the board).
STD SEAHORSE™ 46 KONTIKI
Length - 1.3m
Width - 25cm
Depth - 43cm
Weight - 17.8kg
SEAHORSE™ ELECTRIC WINCH
Length - 47cm
Width - 47cm
Depth - 33cm
Weight - 21.7Kg
Width - 33cm
Depth - 8cm
Weight - 2.4kg
Below are a selection of our instructional videos. To view all our videos, please go to the bottom of our resourses page - click on link, or view below.
Speed Controller - How it works